Adelaide Hebrew Congregation, established 1848, opened its first synagogue in 1850. South Australia's ONLY orthodox synagogue is at 13 Flemington Street, Glenside, in inner south-east Adelaide.
We provide synagogue services, education, celebration of births, bar-mitzvah, bat-mitzvah and marriages, contact with sick and elderly members, and burial services. AHC operates the only Mikvah in South Australia. We are also the Chevra Kadisha (Holy Burial Society). Jewish burial grounds are under our supervision.
Rabbi Tanny supervises local kosher food production for kashrut organizations when required. Kosher goods for festivals are sold at an on-site store.
We serve the needs of all Jews in South Australia, including migrants and visitors – whether non-observant, Modern Orthodox or Chabad. Many of our members are prominent in commerce, arts, science, law, medicine and sport. Thousands of South Australian school students have visited the synagogue for educational tours.
AHC Board of Management represents the orthodox Jewish community to government and other organizations. Adelaide Hebrew Congregation Inc is a member of the Council of Orthodox Synagogues of Australia and the Jewish Community Council of South Australia Inc.
NOTE: No other Rabbi than Rabbi Ben Tanny is currently authorized to represent, or claim to serve, the orthodox Jewish community of South Australia or the Adelaide synagogue. AHC is registered as a charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission. Check any charity is registered by visiting http://www.acnc.gov.au/